Quality is the number one criteria for Banneker’s operation and all actions must be accomplished in the most quality conscious manner while also operating in the most safe and efficient manner possible. The LA must always be cognizant for damaged product, quantity discrepancies or any other noticeable deficiencies. The LA Associate will be able to perform a range of general warehousing tasks, but will primarily be assigned to one or two primary duties or customer accounts. Commitment to safety, quality, attention to detail, strong work ethic and a positive attitude are key components of this position.
This position description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons.
Essential duties & responsibilities related to this position function include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Performs routine inspections of vehicles and shipments to ensure road safety.
- Plans route to and from delivery locations and adjusts for traffic and/or construction.
- Ensures that manifests are complete and accurate.
- Ensures timely and safe deliveries; meets established departure and arrival times between deliveries.
- Ensures that safety chocks are in place during loading process and removed prior to departure.
- Loads and unloads shipments at Banneker and Customer sites (depending on assigned routes).
- Performs routine vehicle maintenance inspections and safety checks prior to and after deliveries.
- Completes various logs and other documentation required by Company policy and DOT regulations.
- Prepares and maintains neat and accurate records in accordance with company policies and procedures (e.g. fuel, mileage, expense, logs, etc.).
- Provides assistance to resolve customer issues.
- Material Handling: Duties may include loading and unloading freight, both manually and with equipment; checking for damaged goods; verifying accuracy of shipments against documented requirements; updating inventory management systems with shipment details using RF scanning equipment; placing items into designated storage locations; inventory management including rotating inventory, re-packaging and performing cycle counts; picking and packing orders; kitting and order consolidation and; packaging and preparing material for shipment.
- EHS & Security: Maintains safe and clean work environment using 7s principles and by keeping vehicles, workstations, aisles, storage locations and other warehouse areas neat and organized at all times. May be assigned facilities duties as needed (e.g. sweep, dust, mop, etc.). Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse. Conduct operations in a manner that promotes safety. Comply with OSHA and MSDS Standards. Comply with health and safety standards for the warehouse and with all associated company, local, state, and federal guidelines. Wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) as required. Participate in company EHS program as required.
- Other: Adhere to shipping and receiving policies and procedures, and maintain compliance with laws, regulations, and/or standards and complete appropriate documentation as required. Contributes to maintaining compliance to Quality Management System certifications and participates in projects and initiatives focused on driving Continual Improvement throughout the organization (i.e. Kaizen events).
- Assists with special projects from time to time as required and performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Non-Commercial Drivers’ License
Medical Card/Medical Examiner’s Certification
Other Certification: Powered Material Handling Equipment (Class I, II, II, IV, V)
Other skills required - Understanding and knowledge of the following software tools (refer to items checked):
Word Processing Software: Microsoft Office Suite
Spreadsheet Processing Software: Microsoft Office Suite
Inventory Software: Softeon WMS or Similar
Database Software: Microsoft Access
- High school diploma or GED required with at least 3 years verifiable driving experience of similar vehicles.
- Working knowledge of handling, storing, and shipping materials or supplies; operating material handling equipment; accessing information on a computer; reviewing documents for accuracy and completeness is preferred, but not required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age for box truck/flatbed truck operation.
- Must have a valid non-CDL driver’s license assigned by the state of current residence; ability to drive standard transmission is desired.
- Must be a safe and defensive driver with a clean driving record, including no DUI's or DWI's in the past 5 years; No controlled substance charges and /or convictions.
- Knowledge of forklifts, their operation and limitations, including their designs and uses. Understand the use of warehouse management systems and RF scanning equipment.
- Knowledge of RI, MA and CT geographical areas, preferred.
- Great attention to detail with ability to focus on the task at hand and basic math skills including counting up to 1000, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to identify individual items and sub-items.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule as needed including planned and unplanned schedules, which may include mandatory overtime and weekends.
- Forklift certified on lifts classes I, II, IV and V preferred, but not required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions with good communication skills in English.
- Team oriented thinking with a strong willingness to learn and work to the best of his/her abilities.
- Must be very reliable with a strong record of good attendance and the ability to work independently.
- Must be professional at all times.
- Must be a safe and defensive driver.
- Must have knowledge of load securement and other DOT regulations.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and pass a Background Check; incumbents may be asked to secure a Government Security Clearance.
- Must pass DOT physical, as required, to gain Medical Certificate.
- Must be willing to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and participate in on-going random drug screen program (as applicable).
- Must pass pre-employment tests, if applicable.