The Engineering Technician III performs assignments that are not completely standardized or prescribed, selects or adapts standard procedures or equipment, using fully applicable precedents, receives initial instructions, equipment requirements, and advice from supervisor or engineer as needed, performs recurring work independently. Work is reviewed for technical adequacy or conformity with instructions. This technician performs at this level one or a combination of such typical duties as:
- Constructing components, sub-units, or simple models or adapts standard equipment; may troubleshoot and correct malfunctions;
- Following specific layout and scientific diagrams to construct and package simple devices and subunits of equipment.
- Conducting various tests or experiments which may require minor modifications in test setups or procedures as well as subjective judgments in measurement, selecting, preparing, and operating standard test equipment and records test data;
- Extracting and compiling a variety of engineering data from field notes, manuals, lab reports, etc., processing data, identifying errors or inconsistencies, selecting methods of data presentation.
- Assisting in design modification by compiling data related to design, specifications, and materials that are pertinent to specific items of equipment or component parts; developing information concerning previous operational failures and modifications and using judgment and initiative to recognize inconsistencies or gaps in data and seek sources to clarify information.
DoD Secret Clearance