PRINCIPAL MECHANICAL ENGINEER
SAIC has an opening for an organized and motivated mechanical engineer who is looking for an opportunity to grow with our company as we continue to expand our business into new and exciting market segments. Work will be performed at the NUWC Propulsion Test Facility in Middletown, RI. The individual will be part of a collaborative team of engineers and support technicians working to bring projects from the early concept and design phase all the way through fabrication, system integration, and acceptance testing.
The candidate will need a broad engineering skillset, well-developed work habits, an enthusiasm for the work, the willingness to get hands-on with the projects when required, an eagerness to learn new things, and the ability to work through challenging projects without extensive oversight. These projects will broadly include the design and fabrication of enclosures and interfaces for electrical systems, the modernization of existing test sets as well as the development of new equipment to test torpedoes and torpedo components for both production and research and development (R&D) purposes, the creation of three-dimensional (3D) models and two-dimensional (2D) drawings, and the development of Technical Data Packages (TDPs) to fully document designs.
Technical areas of focus will include underwater data acquisition systems, torpedo test equipment, test set development for torpedo components, arrays, and other continually evolving tasking.
Candidates must demonstrate a history of excelling at multiple concurrent challenges and the ability to successfully work with people from a broad range of disciplines both in an office environment and on-site where the components are being fabricated or where they’re going through final integration and test.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience.
- Proficiency in CAD software for the development of 3D models and 2D drawings, preferably SolidWorks.
- Experience working with and altering templates for 2D drawing creation.
- Experience developing bills of material (BOMs) for complex assemblies to incorporate on 2D drawings and to use as a costing and tracking tool during projects.
- Experience creating fabrication drawings, including the use of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of best design practices to prevent issues during the fabrication phase of the project.
- Must be highly motivated and have excellent problem solving skills.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Must be able to work in a team environment while completing tasks in an unsupervised and self-directed fashion.
- U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- Must be able to obtain clearance up to the level of SECRET.