SAIC is hiring a Senior Mechanical Engineer for the MK48 Afterbody/Tailcone (AB/TC) and Fuel Tanks program in Middletown, RI. Understanding of the MK48 torpedo operation and hardware configuration is highly recommended. Proper knowledge and experience to provide background on the design, the operation of key assemblies and parts to support root cause analysis, forward and backward corrective action planning and standard engineering change processes is recommended but not necessary.
Specific roles and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide direct support to the program manager and corporate staff on technical issues
- Prepare variance documentation as required to address TDP or manufacturing issues
- Support vendor and sub-contractor variance and or ECP efforts to gain government approval
- Maintain dialog with program management and production team staff to resolve technical issues through a non-confrontational, collaborative, and transparent working environment at all levels
- Support familiarization training to engineering and manufacturing team on hardware functions, interfaces, critical features, failure analysis.
- Support the generation of reports for engineering studies and investigations relating to identified technical issues impacting the program
- Review and approve technical deliverables to the government for accuracy, clarity, and recommended acceptance
- Support the review of drawings and specifications in support of procurement actions to ensure vendors are; properly qualified, responsive, understand the nuances of the product, and have mitigated fabrication risk
- Support efforts to resolve performance issues encountered in manufacturing, factory acceptance testing. Government acceptance testing, or in-service operations.
Required education and experience:
- B.S. / M.S. in an Engineering related field with five (5) or more years of experience. Four additional years of experience in lieu of degree.
- MK48 torpedo operation and hardware configuration experience.
- None; Must be able to obtain clearance up to the level of SECRET.
- Must be highly motivated and have excellent problem solving skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to complete tasks in an unsupervised and self-directed fashion.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Proficiency in CAD software for the development of 3D models and 2D drawings, preferably SolidWorks.
- Proficiency in stand configuration management and standard engineering change proposal processes
- Active SECRET (or above) clearance is preferred.