ELECTRONIC CONTROL & INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEER
SAIC is seeking an organized and motivated Electronic Control & Instrumentation Engineer who will effectively support a fast-paced work environment with the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division in Middleton, RI. You will be part of a collaborative team of engineers and support technicians working to modernize a variety of process control systems and electronic test and measurement designs from the early concept stage all the way through fabrication.
This opportunity allows for excellent learning opportunities in a diverse test and evaluation facility, along with future growth.
Location: Work is performed on site at the NUWC Division Newport Propulsion Test Facility (PTF) and allows for some remote/work at home.
Work Schedules: If desired, engineers may partake in SAIC’s 9/80 schedule to have every other Friday off if desired.
Growth: Our management team is focused on enabling our engineers to succeed and achieve long term career goals and promoting leaders from within our programs. We have multiple long term programs within the local area, and are continuously pursuing similar expansions in the future. SAIC Middletown strives to develop and retain top engineering talent by carefully matching employee’s interests and skills to challenging tasking that supports our customer’s objectives. We value driven, capable individuals who are looking to take a lead role in whatever they do.
More on the role: Our team is integral in developing present and future leading edge USN weapons systems testing capabilities. You will need broad engineering skillsets, well-developed work habits, and an eagerness and enthusiasm for solving engineering challenges. Your projects will include the design, documentation and testing of a wide array of electrical and control systems in the areas of torpedo test equipment, Automated Test Equipment (ATE), and a wide array of other systems depending on your particular skillsets, and interests.
- You will design, maintain, tune, and test control systems for automated test and control of dynamic process control systems that support land-based testing of naval systems.
- You will analyze PID Control Tuning in Control Station software.
- You will design and analyze new and modified electrical control and data acquisition systems while documenting the architecture, requirements, and detailed design work appropriately as well as communicating those designs to a friendly and supportive team of peer engineers.
- You will develop and execute test plans for new designs and document your results.
- You will have powerful computer, software, and test equipment resources at your disposal to allow you to be effective and efficient in your job.
- Candidates must demonstrate a history of excelling at multiple concurrent challenges and have an eagerness and aptitude for learning new things.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more related experience.
- 4+ years of engineering design, analysis, and testing.
- Experience with MATLAB, data manipulation, processing, and visualization.
- Experience in a leading role for one or more projects or subsystems.
- Design in the area of test equipment, power electronics, NI system integration including PXI, cRio, cDAQ, or other COTS data acquisition systems.
- An understanding of analog measurement and frequency-domain concerns including: sample-rates, nyquist, and aliasing; signal conditioning, amplification, and filtering; and various sensor and signal types including analog, digital, DC, AC, 4-20mA, and bridge.
- Ability to interact directly with customers to extract requirements, generate a plan and report status.
- Developing and executing test plans for electronic subsystems.
- Experience with troubleshooting and debugging electrical systems.
- Hands on lab experience using oscilloscopes, function generators, DMMs etc.
- Familiarity with System Engineering concepts.
- Experience with marine hardware including ROVs, UUVs, sonar, arrays, and transducers.
- Familiarity with National Instruments products including PXI, cRIO, cDAQ LabVIEW, or CVI.